“J.P. Furnald Estate”
November’s Landmark of the Month is the J.P Furnald Estate, located at 213 S. 5th Street. The property was originally owned by the U.S Government and was purchased by John Thompson as part of the promotion from the Government to spur western expansion. Mr. Thompson then sold the property to Darwin Millington, whom formed the Millington Addition of St. Charles. James Perkins (J.P.) Furnald then bought the property and built the house in 1869. Mr. Furnald was one of early St. Charles’ leading citizens and owned a tailor shop downtown.
The house was built in the Gothic Reveal style and possess many of the typical features found in that style. These features include: a cross gabled- asymmetrical façade, steeply pitched lower gable, clipped decorated vergeboards (decorative gable trim), the wall surface extends into the gable without breaking, wood window crowns, and square porch supports with brackets that form flattened arches.
For more information about Historic Preservation, please visit https://www.stcharlesil.gov/historic-preservation