September’s Landmark of the Month is the Carlson House, located at 325 S. 6th Street. The brick home was built as early as 1924-1925 for Fritz and Mary Carlson. The home was built in the Prairie architectural style. Although not officially built by Frank Lloyd Wright, the design of the home is typical of the prairie style originated by Wright and copied by many other architects and builders. Brick and stucco construction, banded casement windows and a hip roof with very wide overhang are prominent features of the home. The inside of the home features narrow board hardwood floors and distinctive wide oak woodwork.
Fritz Carlson was a St. Charles Businessman. He owned the Fritz G. Carlson Co., which sold clothing, gents furnishings and men’s and boy’s footwear. The business was located at 121-123 W. Main St., which is currently a parking lot.
For more information about Historic Preservation, please visit https://www.stcharlesil.gov/historic-preservation
Carlson House-325 S. 6th St.
Built ca. 1924-1925