On Monday evening, members of the St. Charles City Council, city staff, and local media toured the site of the Red Gate Bridge and reviewed the project’s progress.
The Red Gate Bridge will provide St. Charles with its northernmost Fox River crossing. The bridge is being constructed:
- to enhance transportation infrastructure
- to alleviate congestion in downtown St. Charles
- to connect the St. Charles community in a new way
- to provide a new recreational amenity and enhance access to existing forest preserve district lands and bike trails
- to enhance public safety
- to save residents of St. Charles and the surrounding area time and money
Construction began in 2011 and is on track to finish in time for a December 15, 2012 opening to vehicular traffic with the pedestrian and bike bridge to open in the spring of 2013.
If you would like to monitor the bridge construction, you can do so at the project website.